Monday, December 5, 2011

The 30-Day Vegan Challenge

Hey there! So, I have an amazing book called “The 30-Day Vegan Challenge,” by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. This book is pretty good, and I’ve been eating non-vegan for a while, so I thought I’d give this book another chance. It helped me last time when I was vegan for almost 2 months, and I thought I’d share some of the pointers that I love with you.

I'm not actually starting the challenge until tomorrow (due to some left over that need to be eaten) but I'm all in tomorrow!

So, for day one, the focus is stocking up a healthy, animal-free kitchen. The main point that she brings up is that once you go through your fridge and get rid of all meat, dairy, and egg products, and other products containing them, the average American has hardly anything less. Now, if you, the reader, differs, and have a bunch of fruits, veggies, and what not, then I’m impressed. Even as a Vegetarian attempting to be Vegan, I had to get rid of some things.
Another point that’s made, is if you are doing this challenge, you don’t necessarily have to get rid of everything. You can eat through it, donate it, bring some into work (if you have enough eggs for all of those ravenous coworkers.) But, make sure that there are some healthy replacements; nobody wants to open a fridge with a lone apple from that time your neighbor was trying to be nice.
Foods like canned beans, dried beans (ones that you like, of course), fruits and vegetables, and grains are good to have. I always make sure that I have apples, rice, quinoa, a block of tofu, a bag of lentils, and a can of beans left on hand, because that’s what I know that I like.
If you do decide to go on this challenge with me, feel free to jump in at any time! The first few days are stuff that you usually have to do all at once (tomorrow being about the cost benefit of eating vegan), so missing the first few days is totally fine.

Also, tomorrow, I'll be touching on the healthy benefits of eating a Vegan diet.

Can't wait for tomorrow!
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment