Sunday, April 15, 2012

Happy Sunday everybody! This week was a short week at work (technically) but it felt very very long. I had CQ on Friday, and that was a long day. Tuesday I got ready to start clearing. Thursday I officially stopped work, and am focusing on clearing.

It was a jumbled week, and this one won't be much better. Kenny has to clear his apartment this week, and I'm already in the Temp rooms at the barracks. The microwave doesn't work very well, and my cooking utensils are already shipped. So, I'm on what a lot of people have been calling the PCS diet. I eat out a lot, or a lot of raw/instant foods. I have a water boiler, so there's these noodle bowls at the commissary that are vegan. (only one brand, so if they run out, I've got nothing.) Kenny still has a rice cooker, so combined, we can eat a lot of grains, and raw veggies. Awesome. It's one way to eat super healthy, but it is putting a strain on the vegan thing.

The topic I'd like to discuss today is Vegan Travel. I love traveling, and I love being a vegan, so, in theory, they go hand in hand in my world. However, contrary to popular belief, the world is not completly vegan friendly. I know, I'm completly shocked as well. But, traveling as a vegan doesn't have to be completly miserable! Sometimes, it's trying, I'll admit. In the states, airports and resturaunts are becoming much more vegetarian and vegan friendly. Websites like happycow.net and even peta are making where to eat an easier option, or at the very least can educate you on which cuisines to eat at for the most options.

When I'm in doubt, I usually pick thai food, or italian for some plain pasta with marinara sauce. But, incase you readers aren't aware, here are some of the best places to eat, and what to get:

Thai: Curry, pad thai, and stir fried veggies. I am lucky to have a thai place down the street that has vegan spring rolls (the not fried kind), soup, and 7 or 8 choices for entrees. Just make sure you let them know that you don't want fish sauce. Sometimes they think that fish is still okay.

Italian: You can get plain pasta with marinara, or, if it's not on the menu, you can explain as nicely as possible that you are a vegan, and ask for some sauted (in oil) vegetables to be added. Some other options are: cheeseless pizza, or calzones, vegetable raviolis with an olive oil or marinara sauce.

Mexican: Beans! Anything with beans, as long as they don't have lard, can be used. Taco Bell is my favorite "fast" Food, place for mexican, they don't use lard, and you can substitute beans in for mean in just about anything! Chipotle is another place that is the perfect place for a vegan, black beans, some rice, some vegetables; the perfect meal on the go.

Japanese: If you're eating japanese, I'm assuming that you're eating sushi, and never fear my friend, you are in the green zone. Just ask for anything with vegetables! I've even had fruit on one before, and it was delicious.

Misc. Asian styled food: I say this one because sometimes it's called a chinese resturaunt, but it doesn't resemble any actual chinese food. But, they will usually have steamed veggies, and white rice if there's nothing else to eat. I've convinced the chinese place where I work to stop mixing egg into their noodles, so now I can eat those too!

American: Don't eat at an "all-american" place unless you KNOW that they have vegan food. This is a setup for disaster.

Well, I'm off to google places to eat at while I'm traveling, have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment