Monday, March 19, 2012

CQ and possible pictures...







Here are some pictures of me at WLC, my running shirt is WAY too big. There's me, kicking butt at the obstacle course. And Below, there's myslef shaking hands with the USAREUR CSM, CSM Davenport. I recieved me award probably 10 seconds after the picture was taken, so you can't see it.





Today is the day of long hours and extreme boredom. That’s right, I have CQ today. CQ is Charge of Quarters; I am at the company, ensuring that the building is safe, the occupants are safe and under control (the barracks above the company) and I answer the phone when it rings. It’s not exciting, it’s not even fun most of the time, and our company is so small it’s not uncommon to have CQ 3 times a month.

I know that I promised to take pictures of everything I ate, but I forgot my camera. So, if Kenny doesn’t bring it, we’re out of luck. Because I’m on CQ I will probably update this entry multiple times a day, and the wording will just get worse and worse because I’ll be getting more and more tired. In case I forgot to state this, CQ is 24 hours long. Sounds like fun, doesn’t it? It’s a necessary evil in the Army, and things DO happen that CQ is there to respond for. So, I am here.

I got up at 6:45 (ish) so I could be nice and clean for this long day. Plus, it’s a Monday, and traffic is really iffy on weekdays. I showered, did my hair (it’s perfect!) and drove over here. I got a “Vegan” croissant from the commissary yesterday for my breakfast today. I say “Vegan” because it’s been an hour since I’ve eaten it and I’m starting to get bloated. Why would I call it vegan you might be asking? Well, the commissary lists all of the ingredients in the bakery items; I didn’t see any dairy products, and the allergy info only listed wheat and soy. I beg to differ! Or do I? This hour’s topic is going to be on processed foods, and their impact on our bodies.

I love food, especially fresh REAL food. When I eat a fresh, some might say macrobiotic, diet filled with mostly raw delicious foods, eaten as they were meant to be, I feel amazing. I don’t feel slow, weighed down, or constantly groggy. When I eat vegan, but with junk food and any food I can find, I don’t feel my worst, but I do feel not-just-right. I feel slightly sluggish, like my blood is just more gross, and I don’t have as much energy. I know, I know, eating vegan is supposed to make you feel better, and it does, it really does! But, when I start to eat whatever vegan item I can find, like candy, chips, and who knows what else, I just feel semi-crappy. Not eat-an-entire-pizza-with-real-cheese kind of crappy, but semi-crappy.

So, why do I eat these chips with jarred beans? Why not just make my own? I know how, and I’ve done it before. We all know the answer to this, it’s convenience; the single most powerful word in today’s food industry. This word alone has created entire genres of food, restaurants, and even the way our culture in America is shaped. From a young age we decide for ourselves, usually with lots of influence from our family and friends however, what our fate will be. Personally, I was the 8 year old forced to go to McDonalds and got the earful for ordering the $6 salad instead of the $1 cheeseburger. (I love you mom, if you read this blog…) But, it isn’t my mom’s fault for the insane prices on some iceberg lettuce in a cup (does anybody else remember the salads you shook at mcdonalds?). This is when I have to relate back to our culture. It’s this hole we’ve created for those that tried to break free from the chains of conformity into what should have been the norm from the beginning.

I got really side tracked. What I’m going to bring this down to are two points: 1. We have created a culture where convenience guides our food choices, vegan or not. The chips are cheaper than the apples, but have no nutritional value to speak of. 2. Due to this gap of nutrition vs. price, the foods some people can afford or more easily attain are making us feel like crap, and are destroying us from the inside out. Throughout the day, I will try and find some interesting, related articles.

Peace out Vegheads!!

No comments:

Post a Comment