Monday, March 12, 2012

Reflecting on Veganism in the Military

Well Good Morning! (If you're in Germany, like me.) I just finished the last written test for WLC, and I'm excited! All that I have left to do is some map reading tests (that aren't actually graded) and not "die" too many times in the field exercise. Wish me luck!

I didn't post yesturday because the internet went down in all of the classrooms. As I said, Sunday's will be my reflection days, and I did do some reflecting which I'll try to post about now.

The first one, I want a dog. I want an animal in my life so bad, it's not even funny. I'm the person voulunteering to watch other people's pets when they have to go somewhere, and I always offer to walk/hold/feed/pet/LOVE every animal I get the chance to, it's almost a little creepy. So, I've been looking at dog pound in the Maryland area, to get a feel for requirements, fees, and what dogs they tend to have. It will be interesting to see them all in real life, and I haven't decided on which pound/shelter to go to yet. It's really sad that there are so many animals without homes. My guy wants to get a certain breed of dog, and they are gorgeous dogs, but I still feel like adopting a dog, not buying one. I'm having a hard time convincing him because he's adopted a few dogs (and I have too) in his life that were rotten dogs. No, not the "pet me at all times I'm spoiled" kind of rotten; the "i'm going to destroy everything I can get my hands on until i die" kind of rotten. He doesn't want to go through that, and I understand. Are there any suggestions on picking out the right kind of dog?

I also reflected on how UN-Vegan friendly the army is. It's amazing. I had a decent breakfast this morning, but I had a crappy dinner last night, and I went out to eat for lunch so it doesn't matter. (The only reason I had a good breakfast was because I ate like 2 bananas, and a few Tbsps of Peanut Butter.) But, one of the Sergeants that helped get the vegetarian meals, (thank you) decided to eat one. Even this non-vegetarian noticed how fatenning the vegetarian meals are... I thought it was funny, because that's what I've been saying. But, even with the cadre noticing, and myself constantly reminding the cooks, I went to dinner last night to find cheesey-creamy-vegetble-less-protein-deficient pasta. Enjoy.

After all this reflecting, I think I'm going to start educating more people in the military about vegetarian/veganism and the health benefits, hoping that it will help future military vegans, and any other person out there.

PS The Airforce is much more vegan friendly. My AIT (Advanced Individual Training) was on an Airfroce Base, so I got that privelege for 9 months.

Peace out Veg-heads!!

No comments:

Post a Comment