Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ruts, bikes, and insta-smiles!

Happy Wednesday! I had a wonderful workout this morning (cardio, and chest), rode my bike to work, and had a delicious bowl of museli and rice milk for breakfast. I love days like today, everything works out, the sun is shining, I beat the cars on my bike, and everything is wonderful. Unfortunately, yesturday wasn't like this at all. The only good thing that happened was I kicked butt on my brief!

Sometimes I have rough days, but then sometimes I have rough VEGAN days. Yesturday was one of those. I had to be at work early, and ran out of time for breakfast. I also forgot to grab my snacks. Oh, and lunch? Forgot that too. I forgot everything. I was stuck with fending for myself in the shoppette. I had the smallest non-crab-apple I've ever seen, which was the same price as the sometimes enormous apples they sell. The bananas were sold out. So, I had an oatmeal; it was good the first time I tried it, but yesturday, it did barely anything for me. I was starving.

Then, I was supposed to give somebody a ride to the doctor's, so I didn't bike. Biking to work makes my day always seem better, right from the start. But, no, I drove. And do you know what happened? Of course not, unless you are that person. He forgot. So, I drove my crappy car all day. I was going to change it out at lunch, but I had to go somewhere last minute. Awesome.

Today, so far, I've made an extra effort to make it a wonderful day. I ate an extra big bowl of museli. I like it with rice milk, but I think on my way home, I'm going to pick up some soy yogurt. I grabbed two apples, and I grabbed my shaker with the protein powder already in it (and who says I can't be prepared?) I also made a trial-run dish for the wedding in May, and brought that in today. So, if all else fails, I can just snag some more of that.

What do you do to get yourself out of the rut of a bad day? The two biggest determining factors as to how my day will be are: 1) Being super hungry. I hate it so much! I'm always eating, and I like it that way. Being super hungry just puts a snarl on my face. 2) My car. I currently hate my car. Every single bit of it. It only does about 2 things right: It still starts (but it doesn't like to stay on.) and it is accurate with the tempurature outside. That's it. It stalls out (and it's an automatic), the door handle stopped working, the trunk only locks sometimes, no tinted windows, it eats gas like it's candy, and I'm pretty sure I've sprung an oil leak. So, driving in it makes me mad, no matter what my starting mood was.

One of the biggest ways I fix my moods is by exercising. Exercising always makes me feel more proud of myself, stronger, and powerful. I like to imagine that I'm actually stronger, but it's a slow process. That ties into bike riding. Bike riding, like running, releases endorphines, making you happier without even realizing it. That's one of the reasons I bike as much as I can, gotta love those endorphins!

The other way to put me instantly in a better mood? A big bowl of cereal/granola/museli with ice cold almond or rice milk. Insta-smile!

Peace out Veg heads!

No comments:

Post a Comment