Friday, March 30, 2012

I had CQ again yesturday. Instead of wasting most of my time doing nothing and looking at funny pictures, I did some reading on one of my favorite pages. PETA. Why is this my favorite page? Not because of the crazy campaigns, or the sometimes rude way they handle situations, but because they have SO much information that I haven't even read yet, and I love to learn more.

At lunch, I didn't have a lunch, so instead of oatmeal for the gazillionth time, I got chinese food. As I was sitting there, picking out the miniscule pieces of egg that were mixed in, I asked myself: Why am I doing this? This doesn't even add up to a whole egg. Would it matter if I just ate it? My answer was, Yes. It matters. Instead of asking myself if I should waste my time, I should be asking the resturaunt to stop adding egg to their noodles. It would save them money, me some time, and help promote more vegan food on post.
Chickens are, in my eyes, one of the most abused animals in the food chain. They are born under lights, debeaked, and segregated. The males are then thrown away, killed, or otherwise "taken care of" because, to the meat industry, they are useless. How can they do that? How can they just throw away all of those countless little chickens, because they were born male? Is it really that important to produce more and more meat per chicken?
Then they are put into little tiny cages, where most go crazy and have either self inflicted wounds, or wounds due to the rate of their growth in comparisson with what their bodies can handle (broken legs and such). Why can't they be free? I understand people will always want their meat, but I think that the blind eye the general population keeps turning needs to stop. If you want chicken for dinner, why not raise it yourself, in your backyard? I did this as a child, and I grew to love my chickens. They were just another member of the family in my eyes. When we got rid of a chicken (my mom sold it) I was convinced the chicken we were eating for dinner that night was the same one, and I refused to eat it. If Americans were forced to raise, feed, and take care of their food, and then kill it and prepare it themselves, then there'd be alot more vegetarians. Or, at the very least, a lot more chickens raised in better situations.
I know this probably won't happen, but why can't it? I get so easily frustrated with people who one minute are eating a hamburger, and the next, are crying because their pet gold fish died. Why is it really that much different? Where is the missing link, that should be there, in Americans today?

I'd love some imput, and thoughts.
Peace out veg-heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment